Many interested and potential customers that call have no estimate what an interior paint job will cost, and which is why they are calling in the first place. Eco Paint Specialist's and Cal Phillips enjoys discussing different interior painting costs associated, and here is a brief overview of major factors involved how an interior painting job is priced.
- Square Footage: Paint estimates usually include calculating floor square foot or wall square footage, both should be consistent in contractor's price estimates. We calculate both ways, double checking ourselves, making sure we are not over estimating, nor leaving too much on the table.
- Surfaces to be painted: Typically 3 areas of major concern estimating interior painting which are ceilings, walls, and trim. Generally speaking, it is least expensive painting all 3 at one time, than individually as set-up and preparations are concerned. Sometimes a painting contractor can make special arrangements coming back if an advance agreement and notice is given, however this is on an individual basis.
- Any Special Repairs: There are many other specialty tasks a full fledged painting contractor should be able to complete while performing an interior painting job. They include wallpaper removal, drywall textures, and repairs, popcorn removal and updated ceiling textures. This is important to know so that multiple contractors are not required, when in fact all of these special repairs listed, should be able to be done by a competent and seasoned painting contractor. Some call themselves painting contractors, but only paint and nothing else.
- Type of Interior Paint: Paint prices vary and so when a painting contractor is determining an interior painting estimate, this information needs to be disclosed. Green Earth Friendly Paints
- Custom Interior Painting and Decorating: Several things need to be considered determining an interior painting estimate. They include how many colors are needed, as using more colors takes more time and materials. Time is money, and materials used is a direct expense to the painting contractor completing a such interior painting jobs. Any special paint finishes too, add to the bottom line in determining an interior painting job. F aux finishes are many, and give elegance, warmth and value to any decor, but cost more than normally painting walls, ceilings and trim.
- Reputable Painting Contractor: This area is the last, when getting an interior painting estimate, but must include. Most reputable painting contractors are all within the same price range. However, there are some who are actually "Hobo Painters", calling themselves painters, but can do the same job in half the price, not having required credentials running an operation. This puts homeowner at risk, if something were to happen, in that if the Hobo Painter cannot or does not have proper credentials, and a mishap were to happen, he/she probably would not have the money out of his/her own pocket to rectify the accident. So having proper credentials does add to the bottom line cost to the painting contractor, but also protects the consumer.
Hope this article is helpful with your interior painting needs, figuring out what an interior painting job will essentially cost. Not being ambiguous making no mention of exact dollar amounts, this article is based on painting industry standards, and what is attributed making such interior painting estimates.
What do you think? Did this give you a better insight how interior painting is estimated?
Go Green, Paint Today, and Entertain Tonight!